Sunday, September 29, 2019

Cannon high-poly renders.

Continued working on the cannon this week. Sculpting the steel, and fixing up the wood. I did some test bakes in Substance Painter and found I needed to bump up the damage intensity in the sculpt for some of the details to bake better. At the same time, some areas I didn't sculpt much because I don't want the normal map to be too noisy when adding texture information later.

Here are the high-poly renders:





Also went in and turned on Poly-Paint for baking material IDs.



Afterwards I changed the model hierarchy to meet the naming convention "_low and _high" that Substance Painter uses for more accurate baking.



This would probably drive a TA crazy, but this can be changed later and should make baking easier. 

I did some test bakes in Painter and am still experiencing some bake errors, but for the most part I think it is working correctly. 


The bake really softens a lot of the details, but I am mostly okay with this because I want to be able to control the added detail inside Painter and was afraid I would get a lot of noise in the normal map later on. Also, the reference photo I am using doesn't have the most damaged wood and steel. 

Reference photo: 


No comments:

Post a Comment